KCMA is committed to bringing you the latest news in the cabinet manufacturing industry. Take a look at what’s been happening:
LOW BRAND LOYALTY FOR CABINETS AND HARDWARE
Recent research from the Research Institute for Cooking & Kitchen Intelligence (RICKI) shows that homeowners are not asking their design pros for products by name. 94% of homeowners were completely undecided about their brands (at the first consultation) for cabinet hardware and 82% for cabinetry. This certainly presents an opportunity for manufacturers to stand out from the competition.
CANADA FINDS INJURY FROM CHINESE HARDWOOD PLYWOOD
Earlier this month the Canada International Trade Tribunal made a positive preliminary injury determination regarding decorative and other non-structural plywood imported from China. If the Canada Border Services Agency issues a preliminary determination of dumping and subsidizing, provisional duties will go into effect beginning September 9. In exceptional circumstances, the Special Import Measures Act allows antidumping duties to be imposed retroactively.
SUPPORTING AMERICAN WORKERS
A new rule goes into effect September 21 that makes it easier for workers impacted by foreign trade to receive training and support for new employment. The final rule will help workers qualify for job search and relocation allowances, increase those allowances in line with the statute, expand training to include more flexibility for apprenticeships, ensure workers have access to individualized assessments, make it easier for groups of workers to apply for benefits, and offer assistance to additional categories of workers, including by helping workers in jobs threatened by foreign trade to receive training and support to transition to new employment.
- New residential construction soared 22.6% from 1,220,000 units at the annual rate in June to 1,496,000 units in July, a five-month high.
- Existing home sales jumped 24.7% from 4.70 million units at the annual rate in June to 5.86 million units in July.
- The IHS Markit Flash U.S. Manufacturing PMI went up from 50.9 in July to 53.6 in August.
- Manufacturing production rebounded for the third straight month, rising by 3.4% in July.
- There were 336,000 manufacturing job openings in June, up from 306,000 in May
The KCMA website has many resources available for cabinet manufacturers and suppliers. Visit our website to learn more!