KCMA is committed to bringing you the latest news in the cabinet manufacturing industry. Take a look at what’s been happening:
MANUFACTURING STILL HAS A SKILLS GAP
Before the covid-19 pandemic, US manufacturers faced a shortage of skilled workers. According to Deloitte and the Manufacturing Institute, as many as 2.4 million factory jobs could remain unfilled through 2028. Now, the US is facing the highest unemployment rate in decades. However, that still doesn't solve the original problems that plagued manufacturers - a tidy of Baby Boomers retiring from leadership positions and a negative view of manufacturing among younger workers.'
ALABAMA SAWMILL FINED AFTER WORKER DEATH
An Alabama sawmill has been fined more than $200,000 after one of its employees was fatally struck by a piece of wood on the job earlier this year. The employee was tragically killed while attempting to clear a jammed machine. OSHA determined that the company failed to lockout equipment before beginning maintenance, didn't make sure machines were properly guarded, and failed to sufficiently train employees on these procedures.
- Cabinet sales decreased 1.8% for June 2020 compared to the same month in 2020. Sales increased 24% compared to May.
- Manufacturers added 26,000 workers in July. The current outlook is for manufacturing employment to bounce back to roughly 12,450,000 million workers by year’s end, with an unemployment rate around 9%.
- The Institute for Supply Management® reported that manufacturing activity continued to rebound in July, expanding at the fastest pace since March 2019.
- New orders for manufactured goods increased 6.2% in June, extending the 7.7% gain in May.
- New orders for durable goods increased 7.3% in June after jumping 15.1% in May.
USING OPEN DATA TO TRACK ILLEGAL LOGGING
Many groups in Brazil have begun using open data to increase transparency in forestry to combat illegal logging. This open data, which is available to anyone for any purpose, includes logging permits; timber transport; processing/trade data; and land data such as the location of conservation units, indigenous lands, and private properties.
The KCMA website has many resources available for cabinet manufacturers and suppliers. Visit our website to learn more!