At KCMA, we’re committed to bringing you the latest news in the cabinet manufacturing industry. Here’s a look at what’s happening:
COMPANY PIVOTS TO MAKING FACE SHIELDS FOR LOCAL HOSPITALS
New Orleans-based Furniture maker GoodWood NOLA LLC began manufacturing face shields for hospitals in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many hospitals across the country are beginning to run out of personal protection equipment (PPE) due to the high number of coronavirus patients. The company’s core business is designing and building mixed-media furniture. They were approached by a local hospital group to help produce prototypes and iterations of PPE products, and chose face masks as it fit well with their existing business.
ITC VOTES TO IMPOSE DUTIES ON CHINESE KITCHEN CABINETS & VANITIES
On March 24 the American Kitchen Cabinet Alliance (AKCA) announced the final affirmative vote by the U.S. International Trade Commission as an important conclusion to a campaign to address unfairly traded Chinese imports of wooden cabinets and vanities. Today’s unanimous vote means that antidumping and countervailing duty orders will now go into effect the first week of April.
GOVERNMENT DECLARES FOREST PRODUCTS VITAL
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has declared that the forest products industry, including wood products, is vital and that the supply chains are essential. More changes to government declarations and regulations includes the Small Business Paycheck Protection Program and the announcement of the proposed rule for paid sick leave.
- Cabinet sales increased 9.2% for February 2020 compared to 2019 – with 5.6% custom; 3% custom; and 14.5% stock sale increases.
- Unemployment claims increased to 3,283,000 for the week ending March 21, the highest level on record.
- The IHS Markit Flash U.S. Manufacturing PMI declined from 50.7 in February to 49.2 in March, the fastest rate since August 2009.
- Manufacturing production increased slightly at 0.1% in February compared to January.
- Durable goods orders fell 0.8% in February.
- New single-family home sales dipped 4.4% in February compared to January, but increased 14.3% compared to the same month last year.
Visit the KCMA website to learn more about the association and the cabinetry industry.