The Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association knows the cabinet industry, because we are the industry. Read on for updates on what's been happening in the world of cabinets:
Trump Approves 10% Wood Tariffs
As you may recall, back in July U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer released a proposed list of Chinese goods worth $200 billion that could be subject to a 10% tariff. The list included three tariff classifications that directly impact the cabinet industry. Classification codes include:
- HTS subheading 9403.40.90 -- the provision for kitchen cabinets
- HTS subheading 9403.60.80 -- the provision for vanities
- HTS subheading 9403.90.70 -- the provision for wooden parts of cabinets/vanities
Earlier this week, President Trump announced that a 10% duty on the proposed list took effect on September 24th, and the level of additional tariff will increase to 25% on January 1, 2019, if there is not a resolution of the dispute with China.
Member Spotlight: Kountry Wood Products Anniversary Celebration
Last month Kountry Wood Products, located in Nappanee, IN, celebrated its 20th anniversary with an open house featuring plant tours and an appreciation dinner that took place in the company's newly built barn facility. KCMA CEO Betsy Natz attended the event and visited with several attending members. Congratulations to Kountry Wood Products on 20 years of success!
California Transparency in Supply Chains Act
The California Transparency in Supply Chains Act applies to retail sellers and manufacturers doing business in California with annual worldwide gross receipts in excess of $100 million. Covered companies must disclose the extent of their efforts in five areas related to ensuring that their products are not made with slave labor or through human trafficking. An example of a disclosure statement for Coach, a luxury goods company, is available here.
Gamifying Manufacturing to Train Millennials
Millennials now make up 35% of the US labor force, according to Pew Research Center, and with more Baby Boomers retiring every day this number will continue to grow. The younger workforce needs to be trained but they are graduating without many of the skills needed for manufacturing jobs, and instead with other skills not often seen in tradition manufacturing.
Millennials were born in the digital world and learn differently than older generations. Manufacturers should look to the "gamification of training" - meaning using game design techniques in a non-game situation to engage users and reinforce a specific skill set or concept.
10 Modern Cabinet Trends
Modern cabinets aren't just for the modern kitchen. Sleek designs can make a farmhouse, coastal or traditional kitchen feel more fresh and unique. Check out these modern cabinet trends from House Beautiful:
- Black on black - sleek black cabinets with matching black hardware for a sleek look
- High gloss white cabinets
- Ceiling height cabinets with no visible wall space - a soft calming color won't overwhelm the room
- Navy cabinets are a great option for a dark look if black is too daunting. Forgoing hardware all together gives a sleeker look
- Adding a pop of color like green to lower cabinets while keeping everything else neutral
- Mixing styles - traditional white cabinets with brass hardware makes country or coastal styled spaces feel more contemporary
KCMA is committed to staying on top of the latest news in the industry. If you'd like more information about the cabinet industry, consider joining KCMA. Click here to learn more and become a member today.